Tricare Insurance covers a breast pump, breast pump supplies, and compression, but what does that process look like? And what are the specific stipulations of your policy? We have the answers to all of your questions!
Our Specialists make the process of getting a free breast pump as simple as possible for new mothers. We carry top-of-the-line breast pumps from leading manufacturers like Motif Medical, Medela, Ameda, Spectra, Lansinoh and more! Studies show that providing your baby with breast milk has lots of health benefits and can reduce overall doctor visits, so this coverage is vital for military families.
Here’s What We’ll Need From You:
• A little bit of info — fill out our Qualify Through Insurance Form and get started today! Once submitted online, we can quickly confirm your benefits.
• When asked for your "Primary insurance info," we need either the Tricare Sponsor’s social security number or the Tricare DOD Benefits Number in order to verify that your plan is active and primary.
• A prescription for the breast pump from a Tricare authorized provider (nurse practitioner, MD, nurse midwife, etc). If you do not have a prescription yet, your Specialist will be happy to send a request to your Tricare-registered healthcare practitioner!
Tricare Compression Coverage
Aside from covering your free breast pump through insurance, Tricare coverage also includes compression garments. These are medical devices that provide a lot of health benefits because they have been designed by healthcare professionals to provide support, relief, and stabilization for increased comfort during pregnancy and to assist with postpartum healing.
Most Tricare beneficiaries qualify to receive pregnancy support, compression socks, and postpartum recovery garments through insurance. But unless you are an active-duty Tricare Prime member, compression garments through insurance are subject to deductible and coinsurance.
The good news is, when you fill out our Qualify Through Insurance Form, we will automatically check your eligibility for compression items and let you know what your options are.
Tricare Covered Hospital Grade Breast Pumps
Tricare covers the rental of electric hospital-grade breast pumps and supplies only under medical necessity. This benefit may be available to those who are separated from their baby due to illness or are unable to feed directly from the breast for medical reasons.
If a mom or baby does meet the criteria of medical necessity, we can provide the hospital-grade rental for the period of time prescribed by the physician. Once the rental period is over, mom is then covered for a personal use standard electric breast pump that is hers to keep!
Tricare Covered Breast Pump Replacement Parts
In addition to breast pump coverage, Tricare will also cover additional breast pump supplies. Regularly replacing these supplies can help extend the life of your breast pump. Tricare will cover the following items after you give birth:
- Standard power adapters
- Tubing and tubing adaptors
- Locking rings
- Bottles and bottle caps
- Breast shields/splash protectors
Tricare does NOT cover the items listed below.
- Breast pump batteries, battery-powered adapters, and battery packs
- Regular “baby bottles” (bottles not specific to pump operation), including associated nipples, caps, and lids
- Travel bags and other similar carrying accessories
- Breast pump cleaning supplies
- Baby weight scales
- Garments and other products that allow hands-free pump operation
- Ice packs, labels, labeling lids, and other similar products
- Nursing bras, bra pads, breast shells, and other similar products
- Over-the-counter creams, ointments, and other products that relieve breastfeeding-related symptoms or conditions of the breasts or nipples
Many of these items are available on our website, as well as additional breast pump kits for double pumping, milk storage bags, and more! If you have a Health Savings Account (HSA), it can be used to purchase these items as well.